Wednesday 1 April 2015

Evaluation Question One: In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

The task for my media project was to create a music video and promotional material to go with it. The music video I created was to the song 'love' by Jana Kramer, to create this music video and promotional material I have to research the forms and conventions of existing media. I will be explaining how I used and challenged these.

In Jana Kramer's original music video for the song 'love' it is set in a remote third world village, I didn't see how this linked with the song so I have set my music video in an urban city. With the beat of the song being very slow and sometimes repetitive I felt like I had to incorporate this within my shots. By making some of my shots slow motion, and editing them to the beat of the song, I have recreated what Jana does within her music video just with different scenes. I feel like I have switched up the range of length of my shots enough for my music video to be interesting. For example I have made some of the shots with miming in quite long, and some without miming in short, I feel the changing in length of the shot mimics that of Jana's original music video and keeps the audience interested.

In her own music video she features a lot within it, which made me think that I had to feature my artist a lot in my music video too. I featured my twin in my music video as I felt she was the only person I could really get the end product that I wanted out of it because I could tell her exactly what I wanted and she would do it.

I did feature some of the same conventions that Jana did within her music video, she uses tracking shots from the front and the back quite a lot on her music video and I also incorporated this in my music video.

I feel like this give the audience a perspective from the artist's point of view, you can see them walking and moving forward and I think this will create a sense of inspiration for some viewers. I have also centered my artist within the frame so that she is the main focus like Jana is in hers. 

I have also replicated tracking shots of Jana from the side. 


Although the framing is a little off in my scene this is my version of Jana's side tracking shot, I feel like it is a nice shot to use because it conveys a message that you can't always see where you're going to end up. Because the audience can't see where the artist is heading I think it creates this message very well and again gives inspiration to the viewers for the future.

I have used a cantered angle within my music video which Jana doesn't use.
I used this cantered angle shot because it shows confusion and distorts people's clear view. I feel like this shot really goes well with the message of the song because the subject of the shot is a church which is one of the biggest symbols of love. This is a challenges the conventions of Jana's music video but I feel it is for the better. This shot's message is that it is ok to be confused about love, there is never a clear view ahead and that is alright, love is always there you just haven't found it yet. I feel like a church is a huge convention of not only songs about love but country music itself. 

When it comes to mise en scene although I haven't exactly copied the style of Jana's costume exactly, I have made my artist's costume casual and day to day just like Jana's is within her music video. I couldn't have my artist in a short sleeved top and jeans because unfortunately it was winter when I filmed so I just has her wear jeans, boots and a leather jacket, casual enough for you to wear day to day but also warm enough to film in winter. 

When it comes to my digipak I used shots from my music video to create a link between them. I didn't have a clue how to set my digipak out and what to incorporate into it so I did some research into what existing ones looked like. What I found was that almost always the artist will feature within the digipak and it will incorporate the same theme as the music video does. Because of this I used the scenes within my music video whilst creating my digipak and this created a really nice continuity between the two products.

With my music magazine advert I did the same thing. I made sure I used all of the conventions that you would see within a professional advert for example, the artist's name, the name of the album, the release date and the copyright. etc. By not featuring my artist within my magazine advert I am breaking conventions. I did this because I wanted the church to stand out as the message of love and create a link towards my album. My magazine advert is very simple and only has a few words on it. It is very central which links to Jana's original advert for her album 'love' and the type face I use looks very similar to the one she does too. 



No comments:

Post a Comment