Wednesday 1 April 2015

Evaluation question 2: How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?

Along with a music video I had to create ancillary texts to promote my music video. I chose to create a digipak and a magazine advert because I felt these were the ones which would promote my album the most and be the easiest to create and distribute.

I feel like my music video and ancillary texts coincide with each other very well. I have ensured that I use images that I have either taken whist filming of that I have taken from my actual music video. My music video has a very old look to it which can't be recreated within photoshop, so to ensure the continuity I have made sure to use the same images with the same effects on so that you can clearly see that they link. I feel like my digipak recreates the country genre very well, the colours and the effects that are on the music video create an antique look which links with country music really well. It is full of beige, brown, and gold colours which I feel are colours that feature a lot within the country genre.

I have made my magazine advert a lot more abstract tan I was planning to. I planned to feature my artist centrally within the image and use text centrally within it too. This didn't go to plan as I figured that I hadn't gotten and decent images of my artist which are central. Because of this I improvised and used a photograph of the church where I had been filming. I used this image because you can very easily make the link that it is the same church, also I felt like it was a powerful image because it is just the door of the church. Because it is the door I feel like it is inviting you in and this links to love very well. I feel like using my magazine advert image as an abstract now has a more powerful message than it would of if I was to have used an image of my artist. I have used the same typography on my magazine advert that I have used on my digipak. This creates a continuity that I wouldn't have if I had used a different type face on each.

The front panel of my digipak is my favourite part of my digipak itself. I like the easy link it creates to one of my scenes within my music video. I also like the framing of the shot. My artist isn't completely central and she is looking off into the distance. It's like she is looking on to the future and trying to find answers. I love the simplicity of the typography within my image, I feel like it is really eye catching and would draw the audience in. The curvature of the word 'TONI' also creates the country feel within my digipak, this gives people an indication as to what sort of songs will feature on the album and will entice them into buying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment